Stay calm and log on

Monday starts with some work before I head over to the Sea Crest to hear about Nicole‚Äôs research.  During the talk many of the group members ask welcomed questions that are happily answered.  The talk ends and I am left wanting to hear more about interactions between dolphins.  I will have to wait until Nicole publishes her research to quench that thirst.  We discuss afternoon plans and agree to meet later with the expectation to go on the boat.  I head off to eat a bite and continue my work for the day.  As it gets closer to the outing time I get ready to meet back up with the group.  I arrive and it is confirmed that we will go out today.  I read a little on the island culture from one of the information filled binders in the suite before heading to the docks.  I proceeded to the docks shortly after with one of our group members as Kel waits behind to make sure we get everyone.  I arrive at the boat and ask for permission to board.  I am granted and proceed to secure my belongings.  Kel arrives shortly after with the rest of the group members and we get ready to set off.

Nicole informs me that since it is not raining I will be in charge of the logs.  I internally panic as I had not mentally prepared to be the log keeper for the day.  I start the log proceeding to forget everything I learned about logging last time I was on the island and moreover the information I had recently digitized.  Nicole patiently helps me get through the basics and shortly after I am saved by boat duties.  I proceed to the bow to remove the bow line.  After a brief moment of being free from the logs I am again entrusted to the duties of the pencil and paper.

I log the start of our venture in search of dorsal fins as we head out.  Shortly after leaving the dock we enter rough waters.  Our captain informs us that due to the nature of the water we will only be viewing sightings from the boat today.  With the surf at our stern we are constantly pushed faster than intended towards our heading.  Again we gaze into the horizon looking for any signs of the playful creatures we seek.  The captain predicts we are about a mile away from where they normally are seen during similar conditions.  Some time passes and we approach that one mile mark.  I see something on the surface of the water dead ahead of the boat.  I alert the captain and we slow.  It does not seem to be anything containing life but rather a large garbage can or plastic barrel.  The captain informs us that large storms can cause such things.  Without the resources or room to store it we have to proceed with our trip.  We venture out and see nothing but whitecaps and birds flying above.  We alter course in hope to change our luck.  Hours go by and although our eyes are peeled with intent we are left to enjoy the ride and view without a dolphin sighting.  I log our course adjustment as we head back to port hoping that adjustments will not be the only thing logged by the time we reach the dock.  We arrive at our final check point prior to ending our venture and the most action we have seen today is at the end of the pier.  A man seems to have a fish on the hook and is being cheered on by what appears to be his family.  The birds above are hopeful to get a piece of the action.  We pull back in the slip and I hand off the log as I am back on bow line duty.  I miss the first catch but grab the second one and proceed to help pull the boat to the dock.  I wait for other lines to be attached before proceeding to attach mine to the cleat.  The group leaves the vessel and I follow as I think to myself, the logs are not that bad if you stay calm.

Until next time,